Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Pronouns, Poetry, and a Pizza Party!!!

First things first (food, of course!), let's start with the Pizza Party... In our class, we earn marbles in our marble jar:


We get marbles for different things-- earning good scores in the cafeteria and special areas, having a code-violation-free day, and getting compliments from other adults in the building. It took us about 2 months to earn 100 marbles and today we celebrated!! I surprised the kids with a pizza party and lunch in the classroom. Of course for the 30 minutes of lunch, I was the "best teacher EVER!"

And then the kids surprised me with some really great learning! In language, we're studying pronouns and we read this fun book today:




We did our worksheet and moved onto writing, where we're learning about poetry. Today, I taught them how to write a 5 W's poem (who, what, where, when, and why). After a couple of examples of me modeling how to write one, they had the BRILLIANT idea of writing a 5 W's poem about the pronoun book we read. Okay, I said... Here's what they came up with...



Stanley


Met an alien named Zik


On the planet Krimular


When he landed in his spaceship.


He wanted to explore outerspace.



Spur of the moment genius!! They're such little smarties! Of course, tomorrow we'll go back and highlight the pronouns we used... Always, always the teacher...



Don't forget to enter the giveaway for my new Leap Day Pack!


I will pick two winners on Sunday!




Have a great rest of the week!

5 comments:

  1. Sorry no one entered. Does today count, it is Sunday!

    Kim.lies@usd267.com
    Www.love2teach2.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim-
    This giveaway was on a previous blog posting that ended last Sunday. Thanks for trying though!

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely LOVE the grammar tales series. It reaches kids on a new level. I just started following your blog and can't wait to see what else you post. I recently started my own blog - I hope you can stop by and check it out :)
    Kaylee
    http://basketofbooks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. The above WH poem is wonderful and easy for the students


    Priscilla James

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! I was wondering where you got your marble incentive jar chart. It would be perfect for my kinders.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete